This is an important question for all landlords, and of course there is going to be upside and downside to either choice. Every situation is different depending on variables such as what type of renter you have, or how much money the unit brings in.
Installation costs vary between carpet and laminate, but it is generally true that laminate is the more expensive of the two choices (even if it does last longer). If you have someone with you to do the installation of either choice then it will cut down on the costs significantly.
With carpet, it is important to understand that even though it looks and feels nice, it can be destroyed after one tenant uses it, and that’s even after only a few months. Laminate flooring is generally more durable, but tenants should be instructed on how to properly wash them, since many a laminate floor has been destroyed by water from wet mopping, leaking appliances, or other types of flooding.
Here are a few things to remember if you are thinking of switching the carpet for laminate in your suites: (propertyinvestmentsproject.co)
- Laminate flooring is very durable, which means it can withstand more abuse than carpets. It’s important to note, landlords cannot get compensation for fair wear and tear, and distressed carpets usually fall into that category.
- Carpets are much better at dampening noise than laminate flooring. Without carpet, small impacts can reverberate through a unit or building, causing unwanted noise for the tenants.
- Laminate flooring will need to be washed regularly, which means investing in a good squeegee or spray-mop to deal with the maintenance. They require quite a bit of care to keep looking clean.
- For carpet cleaning, a wet vacuum is needed for bigger messes, but these can be rented for just a few dollars an hour if purchasing one is not feasible. This only has to be done once every few months.
- The argument can be had that the overall quality of laminate flooring can be compared to premium carpets that are designed to withstand heavy treading and industrial carpet shampoos.